Toddlers are notorious for being picky eaters which is frustrating for even the calmest of parents, but meal time doesn't have to be a battle every day.
Here are some fun tips to encourage your little one to eat.
- Finger food - Little fingers like little pieces of food to pick up. Cut a sandwich into bites; waffle into strips. Anything they can grab with their hands.
- Fun shapes - Kids eat more if food looks fun to eat. Create edible masterpieces out of pancakes and decorate it with fresh fruit.
- Dip away - Dipping is fun, especially if the dip is in its own little container, like a cupcake liner or a little cup. Syrup, ketchup, hummus, yogurt, jelly, Nutella, peanut butter, cream cheese are just a few ideas.
- Creative plates - We all know about the divided compartment plates but serving a meal in a muffin tin, Bento box, separate bowls or even a Ziploc bag can be a fun way for kids to explore, discover and yes, even devour a meal.
- Toothpicks or chopsticks - Kids love to pick up food with sticks or be served fun food kabobs. This must be done under parental supervision only.
- Enlist their help - Kids are more likely to eat if they helped create their meal. Get your little sous chef to pour, stir, mix and even press the buttons on the microwave.